Translate

4.4. Concepts: Previous Studies!


Hi friends,

I am happy to know that the community interested in learning with me about the MAMs is growing. I had more clicks in the last post! With that, I am sure that you are interested in understanding how MAMs can work in the roads! So, I am posting here the fourth slide:


As you can see, this slide continues with the reading of the paper: Development of mechanomutable asphalt binders for the construction of smart pavements (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264127515004487). 


The sketch explains how the magnetic particles help in the development of a healing effect (which is a secondary effect) in the material:

“…the movement of the particles under a constant magnetic field that endures over time could be used to heal the pavements that are manufactured with mechanomutable binders. In particular, if the particles are attracted by a magnetic source, their movement can induce the flow of the binder, and thus it could be used to repair the cracks appearing in the pavement …”

The self-healing is other characteristic that can help to identify the MAMs as smart materials. Similar to the work of the plateles in repairing the injuries in our body, the magnetic materials help in the process of repairing the cracks of the pavement.

Therefore, we are not just improving the performance of the roads during their service life, we are also making them last longer!

I am going to stop here this time, but I promise you all that as soon as I can, I am going to continue with the cycle of slides.  Please, stay tuned!

Keep in touch,

ESR 14-PLP.

No comments:

Post a Comment