Translate

2. The 14th SMARTI ETN project


Hi everyone!


It is finally time to know what Mechanomutable Asphalt Materials (MAM) is about!
Let me start by telling you this is the 14th Research Project of the SMARTI (Sustainable Multi-functional Automated Resilient Transport Infrastructures) ETN Programme, which receives funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Programme under the Marie Curie-Skłodowska actions for research, technological development and demonstration. For more information about, you can visit http://smartietn.eu/
The 14th SMARTI ETN project is developed by me, Paulina Leiva-Padilla. I am from Costa Rica, I got my bachelor and master degree at the University of Costa Rica and then, I worked there at LanammeUCR (National Laboratory of Materials and Structural Models of the University of Costa Rica, http://www.lanamme.ucr.ac.cr/). Now I am starting my PhD at the University of Granada, and working as the ESR14 of the SMARTI ETN with the LabIC.UGR work team (Laboratory of Construction Engineering of the University of Granada, http://labic.ugr.es/). My supervisors in these projects are: Dr. María del Carmen Rubio-Gamez and Dr. Fernando Moreno-Navarro.
PITRA-LanammeUCR

LabIC.UGR
Let me tell you a little bit about my project. First of all, my project aims to study a new material: Mechanomutable Asphalt Material (MAM). We can obtain a MAM once the conventional Asphalt Material (AM) had been mechanomutated (mechanically modified) through the incorporation of materials with magnetic properties to be transformed in a smart material. MAM has the ability to adapt their mechanical performance to the real changing load conditions that occurs during their service life.
Physics Laboratory at UGR
Therefore, to understand and properly develop this mechanomutation, I am starting to learn about magnetism with Dr. Guillermo Iglesias-Salto from the Physics Applied Department of the UGR (http://www.ugr.es/~iglesias/). I want to say that one of the best opportunities during the development of a SMARTI project, is the possibility to work with people from different specialties, in different departments of academy, industry, and government, then, in next posts, I am going to talk about this part of the work, please stay tuned!

Keep in touch,

ESR14-PLP.